Friday, August 29, 2008

Charming Little Tidbits

My current mission, fashion-wise, is to do a complete closet re-evaluation/revamping before school starts. It's a little far-fetched, since I have about a week, but I've adopted a main style mandate that will help to shape my future, school-ready wardrobe.

Though it seems simple and obvious, my wardrobe will be composed of several basic items, which I love (like a good black cardigan, a few pairs of dark skinny jeans, a white wifebeater, etc.), and then be peppered with interesting items. Recently, the "interesting items" have been taking over my closet, which unfortunately means that I've often felt myself at a loss for things to wear. Things that I buy as a spur-of-the-moment sort of thing never really turn out to be good long-term investments, and they end up in the back of my closet. So for every single piece I buy from now on, a full thought process will be put into whether or not it should be purchased. Let's hope I stick to it!

Another idea that I'm hoping to circulate more throughout my wardrobe is fun accessories. When I was younger, I was very involved in arts and crafts, especially jewelry making. As a result, I was often seen sporting unbelievably flamboyant earrings in all sorts of interesting colours. But in the last year or so, I've completely turned around my jewelry/accessories vibe, wearing only very plain and basic jewelry. So, in my effort to invest only in pieces that will spice up basics and that I love and adore (and will wear for more than a few months), I'm going to try and revamp my jewelry/accessories wardrobe with some cute pieces that add a bit of spice to my outfits.

I found three items that fit the agenda at Nordstrom's accessory sale...one of which I am currently pining for, and two of which are from an unexpectedly enjoyable brand.

First, there's a very "now" Marc by Marc Jacobs resin ring with a lock detail. I like this ring, first of all because it's Marc by Marc Jacobs, and second of all because it's only $33.90 for a piece of Marc Jacobs. However, because I'm a petite person the rings I wear are usually much more delicate, so I think I'll be giving this one a pass.


Second, there's a pair of adorable little violet earrings from Juicy Couture. In case you haven't guessed, Juicy Couture is the "unexpected brand" I was talking about earlier, just because it's known for unflattering tracksuits and other velour things proclaiming "Juicy." But these earrings are darling, and pretty reasonable at $27.90.


Finally, my one great love and something I am hankering to own...this Juicy Couture camera charm. I love the kelly green colour, and I think the detailing on this charm is adorable. I almost want to buy two and make them into earrings, but I think I'll have to settle for one, to wear as a necklace, because the charm itself costs $33.90. Note to Juicy Couture: You guys make necklaces and bracelets for your charms, why not make rings for them too?


Another place I'm looking to find cheap accessories to amp up my wardrobe is a thrift store. In Chicago, the pickings aren't that slim, but I have to say that the usual romance associated with thrift stores isn't always present here in Chicago. However, after reading fellow blogger Thrift Eye's accounts of secondhand shopping, I'm definitely going to check out Chicago's Buffalo Exchange, a shop she mentions frequently as stocking some interesting finds for less.

No comments: