Friday, January 2, 2009

Getting Headdress Happy

I am a closet lover of The Hills, though I think that the amount of times that "drama" about "trust" is brought up is beyond ridiculous. However, I find that if I just tune out the unnecessary parts, and watch my guilty pleasure while doing something else, I can enjoy the antics and clothes without wanting to hurl something sharp at Heidi and Spencer.

That said, I couldn't have been more excited when I heard about Whitney's spinoff, The city. Whitney's always been my favourite character, and her fun and funky fashion always provides some eye candy in every episode she's in. I've seen a couple of previews and hear the whole "trust" issue coming up again, so maybe this will turn out to be just another Hills in a different city. But who knows? I'm thinking that the fashion will be to die for...after all, the show is set in NYC.

I love that Whitney takes risks with fashion. Recently, it seems like she's been really into various headpieces. It's refreshing to see something different from the usual, even the supposedly "edgy" flower headbands. Sometimes, they can turn out a little strange, like this headpiece from the Diane von Furstenburg collection she probably has to promote as part of her job:


But other times, they can be absolutely stunning, like this Erika Peña headband she wore at her goodbye party.


It can be found at the Erika Peña website...for a whopping $420.


I love the headband, but not that much. Of course, I had to go and scope out some possible alternatives. A commonly cited one is this one, from Anthropologie for $38, but for me I'd rather that the headband only have the beading on one side, rather than all the way around.


There's also this red one from Anthropologie, for $34. I like this one a little better, but somehow the red and the felt aren't quite what I'm looking for.


I could also buy an array of Etsy buttons and baubles and glue them onto a headband...these would probably cost me about $9 or so in total, so I'm now on the search for a pretty set of buttons I can use to make my own Whitney-esque headband. Maybe I'll take a peek at some thrift stores to see if they have some other things; that way I won't have to pay for shipping.




No comments: