Saturday, May 9, 2009

Met Gala, Part 2

The Risk Takers (please note, some of these dresses may not look particularly risky to you guys but I tend to consider shorter dresses a risk at a formal event like this one)

Kate Moss


LOVE. I think it's the perfect amount of risk mixed with safety. Though I do have a weakness for anything Grecian and draped. But I don't know how many people could wear an entire outfit (complete with turban!) made out of metallic gold material and still look amazing. I think even her makeup is gold-based. Also, I want her heels so badly. Sigh...I was so worried that Marc Jacobs would put Kate in some ridiculous getup, but this is amazing.

Gisele Bundchen


You know, she looks hot and everything but for some reason this just isn't doing it for me. I know that she basically embodies the sensuality of Versace clothing, but this dress just feels a little bit...simple? Too cami-like? Something Miley Cyrus could wear? I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not that huge a fan of this look, and I think Gisele is amazing and should have been put in something more standout. But maybe it's all about points of view, cause from a guy's perspective, she's probably the best dressed one here.

Madonna


Er...no. She rocks this kind of thing in surreal photoshoots, but in real life this looks like a weird concert getup. The boots make it look sort of stripper-esque, while the dress looks like a Project Runway castoff. I'm not even going to address the strange butterfly that just landed on her head.

Anne Hathaway


I totally expected Anne to come to this event in some gorgeous long gown, because she looks amazing in them. I definitely did not expect this. And I'm kind of on the fence. I think her makeup looks amazing and that she's rocking the hairdo. I also love the colour of the dress on her. The dress itself...meh. It looks a little prom to me. And though that may be a zipper in the front, it can kind of be mistaken for prom-ish rhinestone trim. I don't know...I think she definitely has the confidence to rock this look, but I don't know if the look itself is that good to begin with.

Kerry Washington


I love Kerry Washington and think she is gorgeous and has been looking lovely on the red carpet, but I'm really not a fan of this look. To me it kind of looks...on the cheap side. It's also a bit too gothic-lolita-popstar for me...like something Avril Lavigne might have worn in concert. It's sad, because I've seen Kerry look so lovely so many times before.

Milla Jovovich


You know, it's a little informal for the Costume Institute Gala...but I kind of love this! I think her hair, makeup, and shoes work well with the dress, and I think that if anyone could pull this off, it's her. Plus, on its own, the dress is kind of cute itself, isn't it?

Rachel Weisz


It pains me so much to say this, because I love Rachel Weisz and think she's one of the most gorgeous women ever, but...I just really do not like this look. Her makeup, for starters, looks really unflattering. The dress itself might not have been so bad if it weren't paired with that makeup, but even the dress alone isn't quite doing it for me...which is funny because Vera Wang, who designed the dress, is looking quite lovely in her own creation.

January Jones


I know some people have criticized this look, but I actually really like it! I think it would look a little more gala-worthy if it was a long-sleeved gown, rather than a dress, but I still think she pulls off this era (and others!) amazingly. In fact, January Jones had a lot of lovely awards show dresses, and this goes along with them very well.

Alek Wek


Wow. Amazing. Wonderful. This is how to do a minidress at a gala. She looks so great. The dress just pops against her skin, and the whole minimalist vibe just makes this sleek enough for this event. Emanuel Ungaro should be really thankful for Alek, who adds so much punch to this dress. My one (incredibly tiny) complaint is that her makeup looks kind of harsh close up...I mean, I know the makeup has to be stronger to show up, but she doesn't really need it!

Hilary Rhoda


You know, this isn't one of my favourite looks of the night, but it's definitely a great look. Again, the whole finished look makes up for the fact that the dress itself is on the more informal side. I think the necklace adds a lot to the look...but the shoes are really what do it for me. Nice job, Thakoon.

Leighton Meester


Okay, so this might be one of the more controversial looks of the night. And it may be my everlasting love for Leighton Meester, but I really don't think it's that bad at all. First of all, without the leggings, I would actually really like this. I kind of wish her hair was still dark, or more finished looking, but besides that I think she actually pulls this off pretty well. For such a high fashion look, I think she actually looks pretty good. And without the leggings, I think it would be a pretty good look.

Molly Sims


Enh. Unlike Leighton, I don't think Molly has the right attitude to pull off this look. I personally think she looks better in more boho looks, and less structured-mod looks. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it all that much either.

Mary-Kate Olsen


This isn't so bad. Some people have criticized it for being too over-the-top, but I think that it fits Mary-Kate's style well. Plus, I think her smaller stature and skinny frame adds something to this rather large and floofy dress.

Dr. Lisa Airan


So I had no idea who Dr. Lisa Airan was, and I was quite surprised to see the title "Dr." in front of her name. Turns out Lisa Airan, M. D. is a popular dermatologist on the Upper East Side, and is seen front-row at many fashion shows. I think she pulls this off wonderfully. And the shoes are just a perfect finishing touch. Props to Balmain for picking someone out of the ordinary.

Helena Christensen


Dear God no. This looks like a really awful figure skating costume. I don't think it would have even worked on some bright young thing like Emma Roberts. This is just way too cheesy and tacky (and short!), and I'm kind of disappointed in Zac Posen, who usually brings out classy and feminine dresses. Wow...and I just realized that the silver detailing spells Vogue. Just unnecessary.

Eva Herzigova


Okay, so this may be completely over-the-top, but I think the edgier shoes balance out the potentially-too-twee fairytale princess dress. Not the most amazing look in the world, but definitely a standout look that worked.

Rachel Bilson


It might just be because Rachel Bilson's character on the O.C. was the equivalent of Leighton Meester's in Gossip Girl, but I have just the same kind of love as I do for Rachel as I do for Leighton. Her ensemble may seem less difficult to defend, but I actually think this is less suited to the Met Gala than Leighton's was. That being said, I still think she looked quite nice -- she pulled off a potentially too informal outfit very well.

All pictures are courtesy of Style.com.

No comments: