Saturday, November 29, 2008

Are U Talking Back?

A while back, I signed up for a service called u.talk.back. It seemed a tad gimmicky, but I decided to take a leap, especially since the companies associated with it were tried-and-true (and because at the time, I was lusting after some particularly lovely American Eagle sweaters.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, it's an organization that is based on surveys. You sign up for an account and identify areas which you are interested in (fashion, shopping, etc.). Then, you receive e-mail alerts when surveys about your selected topics become "available," and give you the option of taking them. In return for taking these surveys, you receive points for your account, which later can be redeemed for prizes.

I initially signed up because I looked at the prize list. Towards the bottom was a $50 gift certificate to American Eagle (this was if you received something like 400 points). I joined the service, promising myself I wouldn't redeem my credits until I had earned enough to gain the gift certificate.

So here I am, with 242 credits, some of which will expire this coming May. My conclusion? This site may not be gimmicky, but they surely have no intention of giving you points beyond 300. Recently, every time I try to take a survey I am notified that the intended number of participants has been reached -- even if I just got the notification e-mail five minutes ago. But all is not lost. I plan to wait until May, and if I still have my 242 points, I'll redeem them for a subscription to Seventeen. Hardly a gimmick, in my opinion.

No comments: