Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hidden Benefit

Everyone seems to love the cheeky slogans and vintage containers from Benefit, especially when it comes to products like Benetint and Erase Paste. Because Benefit doesn't have a huge array of products (they don't carry tons of eyeshadows, and are known more for specialty products), a few standouts always get a lot of attention. So, I wanted to draw your guys' attention to some lesser-known but still wonderful products that I happen to know and love (in the order, least to most, that I love them :) )

1. Rush Hour, $22


This is a lip and cheek tint that pretty much has the texture of a lipstick. I love on-the-go products, as I am often busy and don't have time to reapply my makeup. However, I find that I look so much more polished when I'm wearing even the tiniest bit of makeup, which is why I love this little stick. The plum-pink colour is nice and subdued, and it adds a little bit of life to my cheeks and lips when I need it. Nothing standout about this product, but I definitely feel like it merits a little write-up.

2. Moon Beam, $24


I'm always scratching my head in confusion whenever this highlighter comes up. Benefit's "High Beam" has always had lots of coverage and love, but I've found that "Moon Beam" is so much more subdued and wearable. I've found that High Beam has way too much glitter and glitz to be a subtle highlighter, and ends up being the star of the show itself. I much prefer Moon Beam, which can be brushed (lightly!) on cheekbones, underneath the brow, or wherever you need a little bit of highlight. Though the container is small, I find that I never really need that much to add extra glow to my cheekbones.

3. Gilded, $20


Okay, so you might be asking yourself..."Isn't this blog supposed to be about staying cheaply chic? No way am I spending $20 on some simple gold eye pencil that I could get way cheaper somewhere else!" But think again. I wouldn't put this little treasure on this blog if I didn't think it was worth the money, would I? My primary use for this pencil is, in fact, the eyes. I use it in the inner corner of my eyes if I'm doing a gold-based look, or I use it to line my bottom lash line when I'm doing a smoky look up top. I can even use it plain as a night, light, golden shadow. I use this for cheeks as well, dotting a little bit on the apples of my cheeks and blending it out to create a nice glow (don't put too much!!!). And finally, I use it on my lips. Though you can blend it with any lipstick or gloss to create a softer, shimmery shade, my favourite way to use it is with coral gloss or lipstick. It's a nice, natural-looking lip combo and it works wonders with a tan! If you're looking to try out a new Benefit product, make it Gilded!

No comments: