Monday, July 6, 2009

CFDA

So I know this is incredibly belated but I wanted to share some of my thoughts (though they will be quite similar to those of the masses) on the CFDA ensembles.


Kirsten Dunst may have been rocking a little too much Rodarte for some people these days, but I think she looks phenomenal.


For Blake Lively: enh. I know a lot of people have praised this Michael Kors look and maybe it's my aversion to hot pink + tight + tan + blonde but I'm just not a huge fan. I will say that she managed to make that whole...shebang look a lot classier than it could've. I'm also a little dubious of Alexander Wang. Much as I love him I'm not so sure about the shorts suit. Nadja Swarovski, however, in that to-die-for Alexander McQueen, looks lovely.


Definitely one of my favourites from the night. This is a pretty short dress, and Diane makes it looks so sleek and sophisticates. I just love the subtle shoulder appliques and the colour, and how she's not done up to much but looks totally polished. Right on, Jason Wu.


I love my black, and I love this look. Granted, it is a little harsh and it is quite a lot of black, but I think the dress looks great and the shoes are spectacular. If I could change anything, it'd be the hair; if it were perhaps a reddish brown colour it might offset all the black.


Now there's a pairing you don't see too often. Ms. Wintour, as always, looks lovely...but it was interesting that she chose to wear Carolina Herrera, though the dress does match her usual style.


Kerry Washington is lovely and pretty but this Doo.Ri dress isn't particularly spectacular.


While Maggie Grace looks great in Christian Siriano, I really wish Leanne Marshall would get as much dress coverage...she may not be as much of a character but her clothes are just as lovely.


You know, I don't hate this as much as many people do. Sure, the boots are clunky with the dress and the whole world might have liked this more if it was just the dress but...it's Agyness. I think it's a fun way to mix girlie and rocker, and I love her polished hairstyle and makeup. I think the boots could've been a little slicker -- like still boots, but maybe less of a chunky heel and less buckles.


This look didn't resonate with me as much as it should've. It could have been because everyone else was a little more dressed down for the event, but somehow this whole thing seemed overdone. Doutzen Kroes looked beautiful, as always (in my mind she's one of the prettiest models out there), almost like a vintage movie star...but the dress seemed a bit much.


These two ladies look lovely, and both dresses are great, but I wish that Emmanuelle had her hair up so we could see the intricate details by the neck on her Vivienne Westwood dress. Ms. Westwood herself, by the way, looks great herself.


I love this look on Julia Restoin-Roitfeld. The silhouette is so beautiful (though it must be painful!), the dress is great, her hair and makeup is great, and she looks really effortless yet put together.


So some people have complained about how frumpy Ashley Olsen looks and how oversized her dress is but honestly...this is one of my favourite looks of the night. I like how it's not too typical, but at the same time it's not superbly attention-grabbing. Instead, it's a subtle nod to a lot of the vintage styles that have become popular recently, and I think she looks so lovely.


I thought this was a much better take on more evening-y styles than Doutzen Kroes in Zac Posen. Though those shoes have been worn by many, I think they provide a great edgy contrast to the pretty, ethereal dress that keep this look from being too typical. Great job by Marc Bouwer and great look on Lydia Hearst.


I think this is also a lovely look, but that it isn't the most original. I mean, I'm not expecting designers to come up with edgy, new, mind-boggling ideas everytime someone showcases their clothes, I'm just saying that this is more tried-and-true than fashion forward. That said, Padma Lakshmi looks great in this J. Mendel dress and is interestingly wearing jewelry from her own line.


I love Heidi Klum. Mainly because I love Project Runway. So naturally, I love her look here (though even I will concede that it's moving a lot into tight, short, and shiny territory).


Say what you will about Rachel Zoe, this lady can pick clothes...and this Louis Vuitton is definitely not an exception.


Blake Lively definitely did not luck out with the Michael Kors, because I think that Coco Rocha looks outstandingly smashing in this Michael Kors ensemble. It's put together yet effortless, casual yet sophisticated, and altogether smashing. Generally I'm not a huge fan of Michael Kors' clothing, but this looks great.



Calvin Klein really did well for himself...both Zoe Saldana and Hilary Rhoda look stunning in his dresses and do a pretty good job of dispelling the usual "boring" association with Calvin Klein. I particularly like Zoe's dress, as it's not typically "trendy" but is still a bit interesting.


Behati Prinsloo's Yigal Azrouƫl ensemble kind of reminds me of Hilary Rhoda's dress in that it's a short, fashion-forward dress that embraces a lot of trends (one-shoulder, structural sleeve) that have been popping up lately but doesn't really bring up a whole ton of its own. Then again, this was a toned-down event so I thought this was a great look.


Altuzarra may not be very well known, but Hana Soukupova makes it look quite believeable...though again, this dress follows Behati's and Hilary's examples in that it's pretty and toned down, yet still kind of trendy.


I know that both Akris and Nicole Phelps from Style.com aren't the most well known names, but I just think she looks so pretty and lovely in this dress...it almost reminds me of a watercolour painting.


I know I should probably be focusing on the Vena Cava girls but Erin Fetherston just looks so adorable! I love how her hair and her cutesy dress contrast her heels...but not so much so that it looks off-kilter.

No comments: