Saturday, July 12, 2008

Basic Face

Though my makeup "look" has remained unbelievably similar these past few years, I've changed a few things. First, I've ditched the waterline-lining idea. I've found that on me, lining my waterline with a dark colour makes my eyes look smaller, and it never really adds anything to my makeup look. Second, I've started concentrating foundation in areas where I really need it. Instead of coating my whole face with foundation, I put some on my nose (which sounds weird, but it's darker than the rest of my face!) along with some concealer under my eyes. I've started going for the less-is-more concept, with little flashes of colour for interest as opposed to bright, bold, eyeshadow looks. Up until my drugstore trip (as described in the blog post below), I essentially wore these three items, in addition to a limited amount of foundation and concealer.


The left-most item is Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer in Rhubarb. I've been rocking this as a basic summer colour for a while, even though it totally doesn't go with my skintone. A lot of my friends have been complaining about the Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers, because they bought the much lighter pink tones. My policy with tinted lip balms is: always for a darker colour than you think you need. It turns out that the cute pale pink Lip Shimmers make you look sort of sickly, while the much darker ones give a hint of tint. What I love about these Lip Shimmers is that they still retain the same tingly, cooling feeling of Burt's Bees Lip Balm, while also showing a bit of colour. However, I think I might try out the Jane lip balm that I posted about earlier for a while, as the colour is much more warm. The eyeliner in the middle is Wet 'n' Wild IdolEyes Retractable Eyeliner in Midnight Black. I know it's not the best eyeliner I could get, but it was super-cheap and I got it a little while back. It's actually got a fair amount of staying power, as long as I layer it with my L'Oreal Wear Infinite Eyeshadow in Lush Raven. It's definitely not the blackest of black eyeshadows, but I kind of like that since I'm layering it with a pretty black eyeliner and I'm using it to soften up the look and make sure my liner stays in place. I've found that applying black shadow over the liner using an eyeliner brush is a nice alternative to smudging the liner, because it stays longer and it looks more natural.

I'll update later as to how my new lip purchases fit into my slimmed-down daily routine...hopefully they stack up to my Lip Shimmer!

No comments: