Monday, July 7, 2008

Stylist Trials: Teen Star

One thing that I love to do is fantasy styling. Everyone does it, especially around awards season...essentially, you just pick someone you'd love to dress and make an outfit for them. In the spirit of staying recessionably chic, I decided to try and style a "teen star." This is like...Emma Roberts, Vanessa Anne Hudgens, etc. Usually, these teens can't quite break out the Valentino and Dior (then again, Emma Watson was rocking Chanel during the Harry Potter premieres), so picking fun bargain pieces is perfect for them.

To begin, I chose this one-strap flowered print dress from Betsey Johnson. It's on sale for $162.50, which makes it accessible to even us mere mortals. The flower print is fun and young, and the one-shoulder detail is a little bit out of the ordinary, but in general this is a basic silhouette -- perfect for not overwhelming a young teen. Teen stars often have to attend events like the "Teen Choice Awards," and I thought that something like this would be perfect for the occasion.


I would pair this dress with a simple pair of pink strappy heels. Originally, I was trying to go for a nude or taupe barely-there heel, but all the dressy sandals nowadays are more fierce than fading into the background. The pink picks up the flowers in the dress' print, while still keeping all eyes on the dress. These shoes are $114.95 from Nordstrom.


I'm not much of an adorner, but if I wanted to finish out the look I'd pick a funky cocktail ring, like this green flower one from Kenneth Jay Lane, $90 at Nordstrom.

No comments: