Saturday, July 12, 2008

Colour Fear

I've always admired people who could rock really bright and crazy eyeshadow combinations. Temptalia, an incredibly creative blogger, is one person who comes to mind. For some reason the idea of coloured eyeshadow has seemed, on paper, to be really tacky...but then I see people like her post these great looks and it all seems to come together. Part of the reason that I don't really experiment with eye colour that much is because of my skintone. I'm half Indian, half Filipino, which therefore means tan with dark hair. My eyebrows were out of control until I discovered the wonder that is tweezers, and I've always had these ridiculously large undereye bags. Until today, finding a concealer that doesn't look ashy is always hard. Because of my darker skintone, I've always found it hard to go for brightly coloured eyeshadow because it's hard to be subtle. If I had paler skin, I could do, say, a light lavender eye and have it be subtle and pretty without being over-the-top. But because I have darker skin, if I want to do a purple eye, it's got to be a darker, more vivid purple...which kind of freaks me out.

So, I was browsing Temptalia when I noticed her "Pink Eyes Challenge." Like I said, I've never been one to wear colour but I figured...it's summer, I have a lot of free time -- why not give it a shot? Of course, I wasn't about to do a crazy number and go out and purchase a ton of pink shadows. What I did instead was: grab the N.Y.C. lipstick that I purchased recently and my e.l.f. eyeliner brush, and line my bottom lash line with the fuschia shimmer lipstick. And, lo and behold, it didn't look half bad! Now I know this is nowhere near the daring looks that many beauty lovers out there wear, but for me, it's a start. This whole lining the bottom lashline thing doesn't seem quite so bad now! Maybe next time I'll try a shimmery purple, since purple is supposed to bring out brown eyes...


P.S. I apologize for the state of my brows, they aren't looking so hot these days...

No comments: